Friday, April 22, 2016

Prince - RIP

Well...shit!  Here we go again.  I’ll keep this one short.  I’m on the road, my CPAP died, I slept like crap.  Then I turned on my computer and I found out that Prince died.  WTF?  The only time I heard about any health issues was last week.  My sister guessed it might be an overdose of something.  I’ve never heard of him mentioned with drugs...ever.  Since he was found unresponsive in an elevator, I’m going to guess “heart attack”.  The cause of death doesn’t matter; the result is the same.


I won’t pretend I was a big fan - I wasn’t.  But I was curious enough to see Purple Rain in the theater way back when (1984 I think).  I liked what I heard, so I bought the cassette.  I had it, Around the World in a Day, Lovesexy, and Sign O the Times.  That’s it.  I saw the Sign O the Times concert movie.  Was there any musical instrument he couldn’t play?  

A friend of mine asked me awhile ago about what I thought about Prince in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  My answer surprised him.  I said “why not?  He writes, produces, plays all the instruments on everything he creates.  And he influenced many, many people.”  He was a smokin’ hot guitar player, too.  If you ever type “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” in YouTube, you’ll get a Prince hit right away. Then there was Super Bowl XLI. Best...halftime show...ever. And he wanted it to rain harder. Really! Go ahead and look it up on YouTube. The cheap bastards at the NFL won't let me embed it here.

Super Bowl XLI Halftime Show - https://youtu.be/7NN3gsSf-Ys


I’ll close with this - the guy was freakishly talented, and I mean “freakish” in a good way.  Talent like his doesn’t come around very often.  He shouldn't be dead, not at the too-young age of 57.  First Vanity, now Prince.  Who’s next - Morris Day?

As fate would have it, when I started typing this, my brother-in-law was taking me to find a new power supply for my CPAP.  When he turned on the car radio, Let’s Go Crazy was playing.  Perfect...



No comments:

Post a Comment