Sunday, May 8, 2011

Frank Zappa - Dumb All Over [Live]

Ok, this is a test. While reading someone else's blog I found a way to embed a whole song into a blog without having to create a link to YouTube. For my first try at this sort of thing, I have selected a song near and dear to my heart - Frank Zappa's Dumb All Over. It's a rap from FZ about televangelism, and his ill-concealed disdain for all things having to do with televangelism, and religion in general. He had absolutely no use for religion at all, and it shows in this song.

In addition to his scathing lyrics on the subject at hand, he finished off the song with a very nasty guitar solo. When it comes to talking about guitar greats, I see Frank Zappa's name rarely mentioned. I guess people can't get past his biting satire to hear the music that lies beneath. After I heard this particular cut, which you can find on the compilation Have I Offended Someone?, I was inspired to purchase his Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar series, his 2-CD Guitar, and most recently the Trance-Fusion collection. If you're as big a fan of Frank Zappa's guitar prowess as I am, this clip will be no surprise to you. If you haven't heard it, prepare to be impressed. FZ's solo starts at 3:52. Enjoy!

**Disclaimer - if you are easily offended by anything, especially by anti-religious rants, then don't listen to this clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment