Thursday, March 11, 2010

Beatles Covers That Shine

I’ve been a hardcore Beatlemaniac almost my entire life [I’m 47]. The music of The Beatles is part of my DNA. The arrangements of their music are so ingrained into my psyche that whenever I hear someone else try one of their songs, I usually find the results to be lacking. My feeling is that those songs are the way they were supposed to be done, that they cannot be improved upon. However, every now and then I am pleasantly surprised. When I’m surprised, I take notice. Here are some Beatles covers that do not make me wince when I hear them. To wit, they are very good. Without further delay, here are some examples of how to cover a Beatles song the right way…

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps – Peter Frampton [2003 – Now]. Exceptional. Peter Frampton played [uncredited] on George Harrison’s All Things Must Pass. After George’s passing in 2001, PF wanted to do some sort of tribute to his friend. It’s not a note-for-note copy, and PF gets to do what he does best – stretch out and play guitar. Originally from The White Album.

2. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds – Elton John [1974 – single]. Originally from Sgt Pepper. Of all the covers I’ve heard of Beatles songs, this one is far and away the best one of the lot. As a bonus, it features the reggae guitars of one Dr. Winston O’Boogie, a favorite pseudonym of the song’s creator, John Lennon. John liked this version better than his own. Who am I to argue?

3. She Said She Said – Gov’t Mule [1998 – Dose]. The Mule’s original bass player, Allen Woody [RIP] loved the Beatles. The Mule started playing a She Said She Said and Tomorrow Never Knows [both from Revolver] as a medley during their shows. After both Woody and Warren Haynes left the Allman Brothers Band in 1997 to pursue Gov’t Mule full time, they recorded Dose, their second studio album. It’s about 7 minutes long, with some jamming coming after the song. I like it – I think you would too.

4. Tomorrow Never Knows – Phil Collins [1981 – Face Value]. Speaking of Tomorrow Never Knows, this is the final song from Phil Collins’ debut album as a solo artist. Almost all the songs contained in Face Value deal with the breakup of his first marriage. There’s only one song on the album that is not a Phil Collins original – this one. It comes at the tail end of the album. With an album that has lots of heartbreaking ballads, this cover of the wacked-out Lennon original from Revolver lightens things up a bit so the album doesn’t end on a down note.

5. A Day in the Life – Jeff Beck [2008 - Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club]. Performed as an instrumental, Jeff Beck liked this Sgt Pepper classic so much he did it twice. The first time was for the George Martin album In My Life, the second for the live album at Ronnie Scott’s. Jeff Beck gets sounds out of a Stratocaster that can best be described us “unworldly.” Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top once described Jeff Beck as a “true Martian.” Apparently I’m not the only who likes this. Jeff Beck won a Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental Performance in 2010. Very impressive indeed.

6. Rain – Gregg Allman
[1989 – Dreams]. Sometimes you find gems like this in the most unlikely of places. After the Allman Brothers Band broke up the second time in 1982, Gregg Allman was without a recording contract. So, he and his guitar player Dan Toler cut a demo of this song from the Revolver era. Included in his demo was this song, complete with piano, acoustic guitar, Hammond organ, and a gospel choir. Who knew a John Lennon song could be performed as a gospel hymn? It blew my mind the first time I heard it. Apparently this demo did the trick as Gregg Allman got a recording contract with Epic. Gregg Allman still performs this song live today.

7. I Am the Walrus – Styx
[2004 – single]. Originally from Magical Mystery Tour. When one thinks of Styx, the first thing that comes to mind is Mr. Roboto or sappy ballads like Babe. Not so here. One day while watching TV [the exact program escapes me through the mists of time], Styx came on live and played this song. When Carol told me about it, I was skeptical to say the least, since this is one of my favorite Lennon tracks. But I sat down, watched it and was very impressed.

8. Taxman – Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble [1995 – Greatest Hits]. This cover of the George Harrison song from Revolver came straight out of left field. Many years ago, Michael Jackson, who at the time held the rights to most of the Beatles songs, decided he wanted to make a movie using Beatles songs. SRV cut this song but the movie never got made. Done as a blues shuffle. Posthumously released [SRV died in 1990 – I still miss him].

9. With a Little Help From My Friends – Joe Cocker
[1969 – With a Little Help From My Friends]. No list of Beatles covers is complete without this gem from Joe Cocker. He played it at Woodstock, it featured as the opening song to the show The Wonder Years. Jimmy Page plays guitar. Joe Cocker’s version is both in the Grammy Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Originally from Sgt Pepper. Priceless!

10. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window – Joe Cocker [1970 – single]. Hmmm – he’s on this list twice. Part of the Side 2 medley from Abbey Road, Joe Cocker did this Paul McCartney tune almost as well as he did With a Little Help From My Friends. It made it to Number 30 on the Billboard singles chart in 1970.

11. McLemore Avenue – Booker T. and The MGs [1970]. Not content to record just one song from Abbey Road, the Stax house band upped the ante and recorded an instrumental version of Abbey Road [well, most if it anyway]. This album was named after the road on which the Stax studios were located in Memphis. Complete with a picture of the group crossing McLemore Ave., just like The Beatles did for Abbey Road. John Lennon had once said he wanted to compose an instrumental song for the group, and in a roundabout way, he did.

12. You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away – Eddie Vedder [2001 – soundtrack for I Am Sam]. This particular gem caught my ear when I saw the Sean Penn movie I Am Sam. The movie has lots of Beatles songs in it, but this is the one I remember. I just might have to get the soundtrack album. Another John Lennon song, this one from Help!

13. Across the Universe – Fiona Apple [1998 – Pleasantville soundtrack]. Another John Lennon song from another movie. This particular version was playing over the ending credits. Fiona Apple catches the essence very well. Joe Satriani once said this was one of his favorite songs because of this – when the clown says something serious, you take notice. Joe Satriani noticed. From Let It Be.

There may be other cover versions of Beatles songs out there in the cosmos, but I haven’t heard them. I have heard these – perhaps someday you will too. Enjoy and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment