Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's George's Birthday!

If he was alive today, George Harrison, the Quiet Beatle, would be 67 years old. Here is a true story. Back in November 2001 I was on a business trip to Washington DC. I knew George had been ill for quite some time, but I wasn't sure how ill he was. On the morning I was to come home from this trip, I woke up and the first thing I said to myself was "Goodbye George." Why would I say such a thing? I had no idea. As far as I knew George was still alive. So while I was getting myself ready to check out of the hotel and head to Dulles Airport, I turned the TV on to CNN Headline News. The next thing I knew, they were going to a commercial break, but not before saying "when we return, more on the death of George Harrison." I can't explain it. How did I know he died, especially when he did so while I was sleeping? So I checked out of the hotel, headed to the airport, and drove around awhile to kill some time. During that drive, one of the local radio stations started playing lots of George's music. For anyone who lives or has ever lived in the DC area, you know that local radio there pretty much sucks, so to hear this one station play George Harrison's music was a welcome surprise. This trip home was a very surreal experience.

So to celebrate the life of The Quiet Beatle, here's the first song from his All Things Must Pass LP from 1970, He wrote it with Bob Dylan. It's called I'd Have You Anytime. It's one of his most beautiful songs. The chorus All I have is yours/All you see is mine/And I'm glad to hold you in my arms I'd have you anytime... make me think of how much I miss my wife whenever I'm away. So listen and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment